PDF format: James O’Donnell CV
Proficient: Python, Java
- The University of Edinburgh – 2015 – 2019 (Expected)
- BSc. (Hons.) Computer Science. On track for at least a 2:1.
Software Engineer at Administrate – Summer 2017
- Blog post: here.
- Worked in an agile team on two major projects:
- Integration with Xero to allow for smoother and safer payments for customers
- Upgrading all legacy data tables to an extensible, smoother and more user friendly system using React and GraphQL.
- Was a considerable net positive for team productivity over the 13 weeks, contrary to expectations.
TOP PERSONAL PROJECT
Published Android App – ‘LostPets’
- Sends users notifications of pets lost nearby and displays them using Google Maps integration.
- Wrote Python web scrapers, PHP and MySQL to populate and manage the databases.
TOP ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Completed the core functionality of a semester long project in two weeks – Android
This has allowed me to focus on more interesting features like multiplayer and integration tests.
- Natural language processor coursework project – Python
Scored 92% . The processor read facts then answered questions on them.
- Cache simulator coursework project – C
Scored 95% . The simulator read a memory address trace and gave statistics about cache accesses.
- Innovation Award, “STEM in the Pipeline” Competition
Used computer image analysis to calculate the volume of oil in a fictional field with near 100% accuracy and in under 30%
of the time it would have taken to use the paper method suggested by the organisers.
- Appointed Lord Lieutenant’s Cadet for Kincardineshire as an Air Training Corps Sergeant
Escorted the Lord-Lieutenant to the Royal Garden Party and various high profile local events.
- Hackathon – ‘BanterHack’
Built an app that provided a notification if a predetermined source published an article with relevant keywords. Awarded “ Best Use of API” by Pusher, one of the sponsors.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org.